China Delegation Trip Report to Promote Patient Safety and Access to Safe Online Pharmacies in China
December 4-8, 2017
ASOP Global completed a highly successful trip to China during the week of December 4, 2017. This trip was a follow-up to an October 2016 China trip – ASOP Global’s first activity in the country – that included a symposium organized by ASOP Global and local China partners titled “International Symposium on Drug Chain Security & Combating Counterfeit Drugs.”
The December 2017 follow-up trip provided an opportunity for ASOP Global to continue to build support in China for ASOP Global and patient safety regarding online sales of medicines. The ASOP Global Delegation included the following ASOP Global Board, member and observer organization representatives:
- Martin Blair, Asia Director, Pharmaceutical Security Institute;
- Connie Feng (US Pharamcopeial Convention, Associate Director, China Office);
- Jeffrey Gren (ASOP Global Board Member);
- Alastair Jeffrey, Head of Enforcement, Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) United Kingdom; and
- Sumin Zhang, Representing ASOP Global Board and Associate Government Affairs Director, Lilly).
During the delegation trip, ASOP Global met with 11 organizations, listed below. These meetings included an excellent exchange of information and best practices with strong support expressed for ASOP Global’s efforts.
- Alibaba Health;
- China FDA, Department of Drug and Cosmetic Supervision;
- China Pharmaceutical Innovation and Research Development Association (PhIRDA);
- Chinese Pharmaceutical Association for Plant Engineering (CPAPE);
- European Chamber of Commerce in China;
- Partnership for Safe Medicines (PSM) Foundation;
- QBPC (Quality Brand Protection Committee) Pharmaceutical and Medical Device IWG;
- Research and Development Pharmaceutical Association of China (RDPAC);
- United States Embassy;
- US Food & Drug Administration China Office; and
- US-China Healthcare Cooperation Program.
The delegation trip was very successful and ASOP Global is now viewed as a valuable partner as China moves forward with the sale of medicines online. China FDA is very interested in future coordination with ASOP Global, as well as Alibaba Health having viewed the organization as a valuable partner.
ASOP Global looks forward to continuing an open dialogue and cooperative efforts with organizations and other key China stakeholders in 2018 and beyond.
Below are pictures of the ASOP Global delegation meeting with China partners, China FDA and industry associations based in China.